Two types of admission are available to international students for the Archivist-Palaeographer Diploma:
- Those with the nationality of a European member state or a country belonging to the European Economic Area can sign up for the entrance exam (1st-year or 2nd-year enrolment) and receive, if they pass, the “trainee civil servant” student status (see all the details in the entrance exam section)
- All foreign students, regardless of their nationality, European or not, can enrol at the School through the international section, which is described below
Students coming from international selection enrol in the Archivist-Palaeographer programme (classes, internships, a thesis, diploma), like those who have passed the entrance exam. They are called “international students” by ministerial decree and the graduates become “International Archivist-Palaeographers.”
The only difference with those who have passed the entrance exam is in terms of their administrative status. Students coming from international selection cannot benefit from the “trainee civil servant” student status, or from the resulting advantages. Thus, they do not benefit from the pertaining remuneration.
Terms and Conditions
An international selection candidate can request admission to the Ecole Nationale des Chartes during the programme’s first or second year.
The Scientific Advisory Board at the Ecole Nationale des Chartes selects international students.
This Board examines an application file that must indicate the student’s professional and scientific plans, as well as the expertise and knowledge acquired during their previous programme making it possible for them to easily understand the subjects taught under the Archivist-Palaeographer programme.
This application must include:
- A 2- to 3-page cover letter, simultaneously presenting the student’s professional objective and scientific project for the Ecole des Chartes’ thesis and indicating the year of study (first or second) in which the candidate would like to enrol
- A CV
- The documents retracing their university education (copies of diplomas and the content of programmes taken)
- Research dissertations and scientific, university or personal work carried out (a copy must be attached to the application, either in an electronic or paper version, for example on a CD-ROM that will be returned to the candidate)
- If applicable, recommendation letters from scientific or professional personalities
- Any document likely to convince the jury of the candidate’s interest
On the basis of a report presented by one of its members, the Scientific Advisory Board will choose the candidates that it would like to interview at a later time. This interview focuses on the candidate’s motivations and their aptitude to follow the education taught at the Ecole Nationale des Chartes.
Enrolment and calendar for international selection
Enrolment results after the candidate sends in their application file, in which they will indicate the year of study for which they are requesting admission (first or second year). The application should be sent via the post to the Ecole Nationale des Chartes (65, rue de Richelieu, F-75002 Paris).
The application files must be sent to the Ecole Nationale des Chartes:
- By no later than 5 February 2018, for review by the Scientific Advisory Board on 15 March 2018
- By no later than 4 June 2018, for review by the Scientific Advisory Board on 19 June 2018
Interviews of the candidates selected by the Scientific Advisory Board will take place at the Ecole Nationale des Chartes in the month following their selection.
International Selection Contacts
Mr Alexis De Canck Head of International Relations
Email: ri @ chartes.psl.eu
Mr Nicolas Buat, Director of Student Affairs
Email: etudes @ chartes.psl.eu